6 things to consider for a great UAV LiDAR integration
What should you consider for a successful UAV LiDAR integration?
UAV LiDAR integration is key to start a mapping business for safety reasons but not only (productivity, quality of deliverables…).
Here are 6 main things to consider:
1. UAV system endurance: 20+ minutes with a minimum 2kg payload is required. If not possible then you will lose productivity ;
2. LiDAR system ground clearance distance: 15 cm is minimum. Frame height above ground and legs lengths are to be considered. You need to take-off and safely. Even with great care and safe landing pad you can have objects (stones, branches) damaging the laser scanner ;
3. Mounting: The mounting is the critical part allowing LiDAR system attachment to the UAV. It should be resistant and light-weight. We’ve designed mounting brackets for this purpose:
– Standard 6-screws mount (to attach to the UAV frame)
– Quick and easy DJI M600 / M300 dedicated mount (<1min to attach)
– Quick and easy DJI M210 / M200 dedicated mount (<1min to attach)
4. LiDAR dimensions: The dimensions and global shape of the LiDAR system are relevant. A compact LiDAR system make integration easier. YellowScan LiDAR drawings and 3D models are available upon request to help integration;
5. Integration tests: Make your tests, step by step! We have mock-up LiDAR units at our facility. Using mock-up units definitely helps for integration tests and flights with less risks. Mock-up can be rented easily ;
6. Vibration isolations: We recommend vibration to be minimized to under 0.1g (on the straight lines), yet / up to 0.2g is fine. Vibrations may affect the quality of the data collection, break components from the LiDAR system or worse break the mounting and cause the fall of the LiDAR system. A mounting with dampeners is mandatory!
YellowScan enables Diodrone in Australia to provide the best LiDAR solution for challenging geotechnical engineering
The differentiator for Diodrone is the high quality of the data they can collect thanks to YellowScan solutionsWhat is the challenge? Diodrone’s...
In this episode of Straight to the Point, you will discover the use of Applanix POSPac UAV/MMS and the flexibility in post-processing within the YellowScan workflow.
Did you know? YellowScan has more than one way to reach centimeter-level accuracy. YellowScan LiDAR solutions use Applanix GNSS-aided INS...